Archives for the month of: May, 2010

So I finally finished all my assignments for maymester last night around 8pm. These 12 hour days in the studio will take it out of you. I finished 12 teapots last night to fulfill the 8 needed for the final project. At one point I had to stop myself there is something about the teapot that I really enjoy dealing with and could likely just keep going with that form for several weeks without break. Any how, I am going to start cleaning up pots for Kerrville now. Here are some pics of the new work…..

Advertisements

OK, so as taxing as this class can be due to the challenge of sheer quantity I am actually really starting to enjoy this. I hope that I will be able to continue at this maddening pace of production. I think that I am going to change a few of my current forms so that I dont have to trim them. But I will have to work on that…we’ll see how it turns out.

I had to put my wheel up on cinder blocks today because my knee and back are really starting to bother me from the constant sitting at the wheel. But the change does feel good as these pains have been plaguing me for the last four days. Maybe the bike ride from my apartment to the studio doesn’t help….but its better than a thirty minute walk. ‘

I have been throwing bottles last night and partially today and find my self stuck in a loop of making them. I have already surpassed my quota for bottles and had to force my self to stop. I kept finding new places to take the form and was really enjoying the exploration of the form.

Looking at all of this work, not all of which mirrors my style, I am considering wood firing a great deal of it this summer after this class is over. I find many of the forms to be very traditional and cant really see them fitting into the soda kiln. We’ll see what I can make the time to do.

I am currently taking a Maymester (usually a three week class for the start of summer) but this one is being condensed into a 14 day 8-5, 7 days a week course. Its been very challenging thus far and I am pleased with my results thus far.  I have posted pictures in one of my other blog entries. We have essentially 24 hours to make finished pieces. Day one was 5 sets of 5 mugs, each set had to have a different rim and foot from the other sets. Day two was the same with bowls. Both projects to be done with 3″ of clay off a pug for each piece and only to have a quarter of an inch in difference in both height and width. On day three we made twenty drop lidded jars from 3″ of clay no two of which could be alike. Day fours assignment was to make as many pitchers and jugs from the same amount of clay within three hours and then from 4″ of clay in one hour make an equal number of pitchers and jugs. Day five we made twenty cap lid jars from 3″ of clay and six more from 4″ of clay. Due on Monday we have bottles which I havent started on yet.

In the mean time I am trying to get ready to sell at Kerrville Folk & Arts festival next weekend and still a need to find the time to clean up the last load I pulled from the soda kiln. I, unfortunately, let my black glaze get a little thick and thus have a little grinding to do. I’ll figure out how to make it happen but I haven’t figured out where the time is for it yet.